Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Ergonomics?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Ergonomics?
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:27:04 -0700
Dale:

Without going into the long story I bought a new Jupiter a little over a
year ago and traded it off about five months later. Ergonomics.... feel
was a significant part of my decision. Also I have a lot of man-made
noise and simply have to have a hardware based noise blanker... an area
where the Jupiter's DSP noise reduction and noise blanker just didn't
cut it for me. It was, nevertheless a great rig for PSK, CW, and SSB as
long as you weren't too serious about DXing in pile ups or contesting.
Anyway  I got a far superior Omni-VI+ in the trade. There is no
comparison there. The Jupiter is interesting but not interesting enough
to compensate for what I didn't like. I also had an RX-350 (basically
the receiver version of the Jupiter in a look-alike case) for just over
two years and I finally sold it..... to by a nifty Corsair II station!

I have an Omni-VI+, a Paragon, the Corsair II, two Scouts and a Century
21. I enjoy these rigs very much even though they are all very different
from one another.

If the Corsair II you just purchased is in good operating condition and
you have the optional filters you should grow to like it a lot.... at
least I have. There is a lot to be said for a PTO equipped rig.... quiet.

As an engineer with years experience in RF (amateur products), analog,
digital, and computers my Geek side is really rooting for SDR and DSP,
etc., however my practical side reminds me of the technical limitations
manufacturer's are still dealing with. I have decided to stay basically
pre-DSP for now. Yes, I know the Omni-VI+ has DSP but its implementation
is pretty nice... simple but nice... Nevertheless I use my Paragon,
Corsair II, and Century 21 more!

I know I will get a bit bashed at this point. These are just my opinions.

73,

Jerry, KG6TT

Oh, and stick with the Corsair II or.... get an Omni-V.9 if you want rig
control and great performance!