Re: [TenTec] Orion NR problem

Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion NR problem
From: Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:33:05 -0700
My Orion came with 1.371.  I've tried 1.369 and 1.372.  To my ears,
1.372 is "noisier" and the NR circuit doesn't seem to work as well.
There is the inconsistent switching using the NR button.  Using HRD,
it can be consistently switched on and off and adjusted.  But even
then, it just doesn't seem to knock down the noise as well as 1.371.

Have been trying something else this week which seems to help.  On a
noisier band I get clicking, popping, thumping--however you might
want to describe it--between characters when sending with the QSK
delay less than 10%.  (I'm only sending at 20 wpm.)  I tried my
Timewave 59+ that I use with my TS 850s but that changes the sound of
the note and are just more knobs to tweak.  Last week I picked up a
nearly new SCAF-1 and that does seem to make a difference to my
ears.  It knocks down quite a bit of the thumping and I keep the QSK
delay at 0-3% now.  Since the center frequency is 450hz, it would
work even better for someone listening for a lower note--I'm at 650hz.

Gary W7TEA