Re: [TenTec] re should i buy an orion now

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] re should i buy an orion now
From: Harry Reed <doon@infoscientific.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:38:31 -0700
 >Harry, methinks it is you who is missing the big picture. Weather we
like it or not, >the industry is going the way of TT and either firmware
upgradeable rigs, or the pure >software control like the SDR-1000.

Yup, it sure is. However, if the industry en mass adopting SDR means
years of buggy firmware, well, then all that SDR represents is a cost
reduction for those who make amateur equipment and a consequent rise of
the bottom line for those who peddle it. We, the consumers end up
suffering because we will now only be offered hi-tech junk that sounds
cool, but is really a bunch of .......well, you know.

If, however,  the industry offers quality products - and they will, make
no mistake - then we are on the verge of a revolution in radio
technology.  However, TT has yet, in my opinion, to make the Orion a
*true* quality product. Imagine what would happen to Amateur sales if
one of the Big-3 (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood) offered a radio with the quirks
of Orion? - that company's reputation would be tarnished and all of the
hard work they put into getting people loyal to their brand may have
been for naught - and that may well be happening to TT unless v2 of the
Orion firmware works as promised. A company can only peddle a marginal
product for so long; consumers aren't stupid, brand loyalty only goes so
far.  Make no mistake, most of TTs current products are outstanding.
Take their RX-340 for example - a true world-class HF receiver (and
SDR). The Orion, well, it still needs work after 2+ years.

 >We can not think in terms of the old plug and play version 1 or 2.
 >
 >The other three manufactures are all working on their versions. Icom
has allready >released one in the 7800 which has upgradable
firmware.(They had to recall the whole >lot for a harware mistake).

And when they price their SDRs reasonably watch out!

 >The times they are a changing, get the rig now and enjoy.

Yes, but, again, if SDR means years of buggy firmware and endless
upgrades, well I'll just go back to my old JRC gear thank you very much.

>Bill  kc4atu
>QRP,doing more with less

*73
Harry, AB7YF*