[Orion] Zero Beat CW and monitor other frequency

To: "Orion" <orion@contesting.com>,"TenTecReflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Zero Beat CW and monitor other frequency
From: "Ron" <ron@morell.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:40:20 -0700
OK, I?m new.  Only had the ORION since the 23rd of June.  But, in reading
other threads on problems finding zero beat on CW and the various ?add on
light display? solutions, I thought I should share these operating
techniques I?ve stumbled on to.

To easily find a zero beat in a hurry and still monitor a fairly wide
bandwidth;
1)       set the TX, RX, and SUB RX on the same VFO
2)       set the MAIN TX, RX, and SUB RX on the same ANT
3)       push the AUDIO button and set the LEFT: MAIN and the RIGHT: BOTH
4)       push the sub rx button and push the MODE button and select UCW or
LCW then adjust the BW knob for desired value say 1000 Hz and set AGC for
fast or prog
5)       push the main rx button and push the MODE button and select UCW or
LCW (make the same choice as in 4 above) and then adjust the BW knob for
100 ? 300 Hz and set the AGC as in 4 above.
6)       Put on your head phones and tune the common VFO and listen as you
pass by a CW signal.  When it is loud and clear in the left ear (assuming
you have oriented your headphone correctly?) then you are zero beat.

I?m sure all ops knew this already, but I have not read it here.  The SUB AF
knob can be adjusted to keep the wide bandwidth signals at a low level and
yet let you tell what is happening near by.  With a push of the AF button
the audio is muted from this source or vice versa.

With the same AUDIO settings above it is easy to readjust the SUB RX to
listen to other frequencies after assigning the SUB RX to the other VFO.  So
for example listen for the guys on 1.860 SSB while working stations on 40
meter CW.  Antenna options apply.

I like the ORION more each day.  Now if I could figure out how to use the
squelch features to advantage.  So far they seem to interact between MAIN RX
and SUB RX in ways I had not counted on.  So someone please teach me! <grin>
Ron
KA7U