Re: [TenTec] Omni six-- heat related IF gain problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni six-- heat related IF gain problem
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:54:33 -0500
Interesting.  I ran my VI+  on a number of occasions in RTTY contests and
never needed a fan on the rig.  In fact, I had a Centurion amp sitting to
the LEFT of the radio, which means the hot exhaust blew onto the side of
the Omni, and it still continued to work FB for seven years.  The cabinet
would get plenty warm from the amp blowing on it, but I never lost
sensitivity or had drift problems.  Mine was a crystal oven model, not
TCXO.  Right now I'm wishing I hadn't sold it when I moved to the Orion.
So, it's not all Omni's that appear to have this problem.

        73,  Duane