Re: [TenTec] Orion II

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:57:24 -0000
There are certainly many fascinating views expressed here and apparently
some confusion over what is going on.

It is quite reasonable that product enhancements be confined to an Orion II.
Colour display, 8 pin mic connector and independent control of levels for
digital mode operation are examples of such enhancements.  If it makes
business sense to only offer these in the next generation of Orion, then so
be it.

It is wholly unreasonable that product fixes be confined to a replacement
product and not made available to users of the faulty product.  Roofing
filter operation and adequacy of processor speed are examples of fixes
required which have been acknowledged by Ten Tec management for around a
year.

Assessment of whether fixes are minor or not is subjective.  Rather like
beauty, which someone once said "exists in the mind of the beholder".  Put
simply, if you find the operation of the Orion I roofing filter schema meets
your needs, ( and if you are a phone op, it will meet them extremely well )
then you will consider this change to be minor.  OTOH if you find that Orion
failed to live up to its promise in this area and have had discussions with
the Chief Exec of the company about providing a fix, then it is likely you
consider this problem something more than minor.

If the processor speed fix can be achieved in firmware I will be delighted
but whatever is required, Orion I users should have reasonable performance
here.

The roofing filter fix can only be achieved by a change in the hardware
used.  There is no "new technology" or ethereal magic at work here.  To
suggest such, is unmitigated BS. The plan to re-use Omni 9MHz filters at 250
& 500 Hz was flawed.  The hardware did not perform as it was supposed to do.
A new roofing filter scheme has been introduced to correct this design flaw.
This fix should be made available to current users who need it.

Bob Henderson, 5B4AGN