Re: [TenTec] FCC says CW dead

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FCC says CW dead
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:32:00 -0400
Rich,

You have a good argument....for a single case only! Age is not an
impediment for learning CW. My example is a gentleman, age 84, that I
talked to Monday night. This gentleman was running at about 15 wpm,
and he has been a ham for four months!

And it's not an argument about keeping CW or deleting it, CW is, in
fact, just one of the parts of our hobby that makes it interesting.
Right, I don't have to take a test on how to push a microphone button
to become an Extra, so the idea of eliminating CW from the testing
requirement is not a far fetched idea. I am, right now, a strictly CW
operator, and by my own choice. But only because it is the only part
of this hobby that I really enjoy right now.

The dropping of the CW requirement for testing does not bother me.
What DOES bother me a great deal is in this same FCC NPRN, the
definition of the amateur service has 'casually' been redefined. The
amateur service in this NPRN definition, no longer has any ties with
'emergency' or 'public' service, it is defined as a "hobby". How long
do you think it's going to take commercial interest to convince the
FCC to give them the "hobbist" frequencies? To be, that is what WE
should be concerned about in this NPRN.

Tommy - W4BQF