Re: [TenTec] cw rcvr fundamentals

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cw rcvr fundamentals
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:43:58 -0500
Stuart is really very correct here.  I see it all  too often a receiver
sitting there with no signal and the S-meter at S- 5 or S-6 or higher.  So
be it for the noise be it line or atmospheric.  What that tells you is there
is too much gain for the band conditions.  Two choices, switch in some
attenuation or back down the RF gain or both.  You'd be surprised how well
you can hear once doing this.  Most often I tune to an un-occupied
frequency, look at the S meter and back the RF gain down to where it is only
S-1 or S-2.  Remember, 20 dB attenuation is equal to about 4 S units.  The
ears will dig out a signal that is typically 10 dB below or down in the
noise.  No need to have a noise there taking up AGC gain range and trying to
dig a signal out of a S-9 noise level.  It just won't happen.

Try it, you'll be surprised how easy it really is to now hear the weak ones.

73
Bob, K4TAX