[TenTec] cw rcvr fundamentals

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] cw rcvr fundamentals
From: Frank Brady <ftbrady@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:09:39 -0500
Greetings again TenTecers.

Every time I QSO an Omni 5 or six user I ask as many questions as possible
about the CW operating differences between the two rigs.  The last one told
me his 5 was just as good as the 6+ he has now and he would never have let
the 5 go if it hadn't developed a processor problem that TenTec could not
fix due to discontinued mfr of that chip.

Does that sound reasonable that a rig "can't be fixed"?

He felt the same way, but he has since come to believe that a replacement
processor could have fixed the 5 but it would have affected the filters
(somehow matched to the processor part?) and it may have been a nasty job.

Is this a low level example of the same parts life problem that spawned the
O2 ?

What's a guy to do - stick with an S38 and build up a supply of tubes?

Frank W0ECS