[TenTec] ORe: ORION II

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ORe: ORION II
From: "Steve Baron - KB3MM" <SteveBaron@StarLinX.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:20:33 -0000
From: "Len Umina" <umina@theuminas.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 04:28
Subject: [TenTec] ORION II

> I was at Dayton and "sold" on the fact that Orion was "upgradeable".  I
> ordered one on the spot.
>
> It has been pretty dissapointing.  Yes, the roofing filters blow away
> everything else, and I've got everything else except the 7800 and 9000 (so
> far).  After LOTS of comparisons, measurements, and experience with the
> radio, I'd have to say I'd be seriously surprised if the radio meets any
of
> the original design/marketing/advertising goals, and apparently quite a
few
> very technical people have made siimilar statements in the past.  This
> doesn't make the radio unusable, and Tentec has continued to sell them and
> generated a loyal following, even if a lot of that (apparently) was on the
> hope that the bugs would be worked out and the radio upgraded through the
> magic of software.
>
> My personal observation is that the firmware in the Orion is very
poor.Poor ?  or just needs some tlc and redesisn

> Many functions don't work,
EXAMPLE ?
 don't work right, or are very cumbersome compared EXAMPLE PLEASE

> to 'state of the art', and this has been very well documented.

Where?

  I also
> believe the Orion HAS the processing power to implement what the manual
> claims they deliver, but the software is not properly structured to take
> full advantage of the architecture.  Using the Harvard architecture is an
> ART, and there are very few practitioners, and certainly none at Tentec.
(I
> can tell, because some of the comments with the upgrade releases wreak of
> the Princeton/CISC/Brute Force approach, but I didn't write this to attack
> their engineering prowess so lets drop it here.)

!  you can tell  CISC, Risk, Harvard frm afar.

> Someone said in this thread that Tentec had no choice but to use modern
> DSP's etc to upgrade the hardware and produce the ORION II.
>
> Well, folks, that doesn't sit to well with me for any subject EXCEPT the
> color display change!
>
> For example:
>
> The HF spectrum is still the HF spectrum.  CW is still CW.  SSB modulation
> is still SSB Modulation.  A "REAL TIME BANDSCOPE" is still a "REAL TIME
> BANDSCOPE".  "Noise Reduction" is still "Noise Reduction".
>
> The implementation of these features isn't rocket science.  It's been done
> in software since the late 1980's or before.  It's been inexpensive since
> the 1990's, and consumer technology since then.
>
> The point is, that the ORIGINAL AND CURRENTLY MARKETED "FEATURES" of the
> ORION still have not been delivered to the market.  If Tentec couldn't
> deliver these features with the processor they chose and the architecture
> they desiged 3 years ago then they had no right to make the claims they
did
> and lead the marketplace to believe that things would work as promised
with
> an eventual software upgrade.
>
> If for some technical reason (like they underestimated the amount of
> storage) or they really did need more CPU power, then a CPU relpacement
> board would fix the problem.

TYpical situation for inexperienced people doind embedde dystems.  Things
like "linear taper" vs "log taper" are
> so trivial to fix for a software guru it would shock you.  Fixing the
> control slugishness, modifying objects,  whpch objcrs
 and updating the display driver are
> all straightforward.  There is no magic. Somerimes the problem is majic
If the memory is there, the CPU