[TenTec] Real Meaning of the New FCC Proposal

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Real Meaning of the New FCC Proposal
From: "Jeff Frank" <jafrank@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:46:27 -0400
I'm not picking on you in particular Rob, but your idea that cw will continue
to live on as strongly, without it being an FCC testing requirement, strikes me
as quite naive. The FCC's new proposal to eliminate cw testing is clearly a
retraction of a long standing endorsement by them of that mode of operation.
Think about why the government continues to fight against the medical use of
marijuana ... because recognize to sanction such use (and BTW I believe it
ought to be legal for the medically needy) would send a message of endorsement
about smoking pot to the general public, and they don't want to do that. They
don't want to send that kind of message. Try and read between the lines and
look at the meaning and the real implications of things. Regarding the idea of
other modes not having to be tested for, so why should cw be ... the FCC's
retracting their endorsement of the importance of cw has a different meaning
than does never having made an endorsement for one of the other
  communication modes to begin with. It says "we used to think this was
important but now we don't anymore."  That's not the message I want new or
prospective hams to get.

Jeff (KX2P)