Re: [TenTec] Filters, amps and IMD, etc

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>,<k4qo@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Filters, amps and IMD, etc
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:34:26 -0700
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <n4nt_m_o_hyder@charter.net>

> IMD is the product of two or more signals.  3rd order IMD is a signal's
> fundamental mixing with the second harmonic of another signal...
>
> For this reason, a 10dB attenuation in the line will attenuate the desired
> signal by that much but will attenuate the intermodulation distortion
> products by much more.

That isn't quite right, Mike. This only happens when you put the
attenuator in front of a non-linear amplifier. In this case, the attenuator
will appear to reduce IMD products more than the fundamental signal
is, but what is really happening is that you are reducing the drive to the
non-linear amplifier stage so that it doesn't produce as much IMD.
If you put a 10dB attenuator after the stage which produces the IMD
distortion, it will knock the signal down and the distortion products
by the same amount, 10dB. In other words, if the IMD products are
already present, the attenuator will knock them down by the same
amount as the desired signal (the attenuator can't tell the difference
between the desired signal and the distortion products).

> Amplification works in the opposite way.  It brings up one signal but
> brings
> up the IMD products more than it does the one signal.  In addition, if the
> amplifier is not perfectly linear, it serves to accentuate the harmonic
> products and worsen the problem (see paragraph 1 above).

A perfectly linear amplifier by definition will amplify distortion products
by the same amount as the fundamental signal (amplifiers can't tell the
difference between the signal we want and the signal we don't want). Most
amplifier, are somewhat non-linear so they typically add IMD products.
The amount of IMD that they add depends on how hard you drive the
amplifier. At the amplifiers 1dB gain compression point, an amplifier
will typically add 3rd order IMD products that are approximately 20dB
down from the fundamental tones. If you drop the input signal tones levels
by 10dB, the 3rd order products will drop 30dB for a net change in
relative IMD level of 20dB (e.g. IMD changes from -20dBc to -40dBc
as you drop the tone levels 10dB from the amplifiers 1dB gain compression
point).