[TenTec] Knife Switches and etc

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Knife Switches and etc
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:35:57 -0500
In looking for one of these, I find that Surplus Sales of Nebraska does have
"Big Knife Switch". This is a DPDT military unit which has silver plated
knives and contacts, all mounted on ceramic standoffs.  Perfect for
switching feedlines, grounding feedlines and such.  The unit measures 4" x
8" x 4".  Based on the picture, probably good for 100KW or so.  They sell
for $49 each!  Well folks, you wanted a good switch didn't you?  None of
those $2.99 Home Depot, Radio Shack or Lowe's "project switches" for me.

Personally, I use the spark plug arrestor system on my balanced feed line.
The arrestor unit is mounted on the tower at the point the feed line enters
the house.  I actually made mine with a couple of small engine plugs, a
couple of nuts that the spark plug threads fit, a piece of aluminum to
support it all and a U bolt to secure it to the tower leg.  The feed line is
attached to the top end of the plugs.  Gap is about 0.035" and it handles
the legal limit on all bands.  The  "Wireman" makes these available as model
#878 or #880.  My book list the price as $11.00 and 19.95 but these prices
are somewhat dated.  Here's the link:  http://thewireman.com/prodpix5.html

73
Bob, K4TAX