[TenTec] Omni VI with Opt. 3 Info Needed

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI with Opt. 3 Info Needed
From: "Jim Reid" <reidj021@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:33:35 -1000
Hi all,

I am now back on the list!  Been off for a time
fooling around with digital electronic organs,  still
am.  Sold all my previous Ten Tec gear - Orion I;
RX-340,  gave away my Corsair II to a new young
ham down on the Big Island,  NH7ZE last week,
sold my Henry linear also.  All the cash raised from
that went into my new dual Opteron PC for running
Hauptwerk,  for those who might care to know,  hi,
and other goodies for that project.

Anyway,  just bought KH6FMT's Omni VI,  an original
Model 563, which he seems to have had upgraded through
Opt 1, 2, and 3.  Not sure if it was part of Opt. 3,  but
in 2000 he had the original oven controlled reference crystal
oscillator replaced with a TXCO reference!? Not sure why,
as I thought the oven control provided "tighter" frequency
stability.  My Orion had "only" the TCXO and it would drift
some 50 Hz or more over the first 90 minutes or so of
operating use.  Not a big deal, but it did bother me.  Of
course the RX-340 was rock steady as I had it ref'd with
the hp satellite rcvr to the GPS system,  but no way to tie
that into the Orion,  well at least the one I had.  Wonder,
will the Orion II have provision for an external freq. ref.?

My present problem is that the manual FMT provided to me
with the 563 is for that version.  There is no info about what
those various options have done.  Most of the buttons on the
right hand end of the rig are completely different from the
buttons shown in the 563 manual!  Would like to set the
clock,  for example.  The original manual shows a button
for that purpose; now I suppose it must be in the menu
somewhere, which I have yet to try to operate!

Anyway,  wonder if someone could give me a hint about
where in the list achieves I might learn what Opt. 1, 2,
and 3 were and how the functions changed/added ought
to be used.  Maybe just buying a manual from TT for
the Omni VI+,  the 564 model,  is what I should do.
Or would that be the wrong thing to do??  Yes,  some
of you will recall that I had a 564 for a time, even
loaded it up with Inrad filters,  but sold that,  the filters
and manual away several years ago.  I didn't use many
of the menu features of that rig at the time anyway, but
did use the DSP button a lot.  I don't see a DSP button
on this particular 563+ opt's,  but maybe I just don't
recognize it,  or maybe the CW DSP function was not one
of the three Opt. upgrades.

Oh,  very sorry to have learned via the July QST that my
beloved Orion rig features sparring partner,  George,  W5YR,
the Yellow Rose of Texas became a Silent Key sometime
earlier in the year.  I had been out of touch with him for some
time,  so only learned of his passing accidentally seeing his call
in the Silent Key list that month.  Some of you may recall
the spats we had over Ten Tec vs. other's rigs,  etc.  Looking
back,  was all in good fun I am sure.

Nice to be back and 73,
Jim  W6KPI
(Oh,  went back a fetched my original 1950 Class B call;
just never felt good about the Hawaiian KH7M, or previous
AH6NB calls.  So claimed my original back!)