Re: [TenTec] Omni VI with Opt. 3 Info Needed

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI with Opt. 3 Info Needed
From: "Jim Reid" <reidj021@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:00:55 -1000
Clark, WA3JPG,  wrote in part:

> Option 3 could only be installed at the factory.  There would be a
> factory sticker on the back side of the rig that stated Option 3
> installed.  It is silver.  Is there one on the back of yours?

Yes,  and thanks for the heads-up about that.  Sure enough,  the
sticker is there.

Dave, K1FK,  sent along a copy of the Feb. 20, 1997 letter
Ten Tec sent out to all owners of the 563.  In it they outline the
price and details of the changes to the 563 provided by Opt. 1,
Opt. 2,  and Opt. 3. Opt. 3, performed only at the factory
"upgraded" the 563 to the then Onvi VI+, model 564;  the
price for the factory to do this upgrade was put at $275,
so sometime after that KH6FMT had that done. The Ten Tec
letter said the offer was to be good for only a limited time;]
don't know how long that was.

Then in October of 2000,  FMT sent the rig back to Ten Tec
at which time the factory installed the TXCO reference oscillator,
aligned the rf/if stages and "updated" the AF PBT and BPF
boards to "lower the noise floor".  For that,  he paid TT another
$197 plus the shipping charges back out here to Kauai.

This all tells be I have acquired a pretty nice little rig!!
All I need to do now is order a 564 manual from TT,
and will be all set to see what I can do at the bottom of
the solar cycle on 75 and 80 metes,  well some on
40 also,  my usual band these days.

Using only a 130 some foot long doublet,  center fed,
tuned with my ancient Johnson kW Matchbox ( which
has been modified a bit;  now has a tuning C in series
with the primary winding of the link coil and I can switch
to any of five tap positions on the primary...makes the
tuner much easier to use!  All mods per the wisdom of
Cebik and the info on his web site,  or at least as it
was some years back).

Thank you to each of you who responded to my request,
either directly or here on the Discussion list.  Oh, and
thanks also to a couple of you who offered the "Plus"
word for sticking on the front panel to indicate the
upgrade;  I will pass on that,  my eyes/hands would not
be good enough to apply such.  And anyway,  there is
absolutely no one around here who would care what it
says on the panel,  hi!

One thing on the front panel which was important to me:
the ball is really Orange between the raised, silver T's of
the logo on the front panel.

On my Orion,  it was black......?  Wonder if it will
be orange on the Orion II.

73,  Jim W6KPI/KH6