Re: [TenTec] PTO on the Omni C

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PTO on the Omni C
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <n4nt_m_o_hyder@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 10:15:18 -0400
I've had good success using first a dishwashing detergent (here I use Dawn),
followed by isopropyl alcohol.  I use Q-Tips and an old toothbrush.

I suggest using a pan to catch small parts during disassembly.  I also
suggest using a synthetic grease that may be less likely to get gummy with
time.  Of the six I've rebuilt, only one seemed to need new parts and in
retrospect, I'm not sure it really did.

Below are instructions for removing the PTO from the Omni-C as there is a
trick to it.

73, Mike N4NT

There's a trick to getting the PTO out of the Omni-D.  Here's what Ten-Tec
advises:

PTO REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT FOR OMNI MODELS 545 AND 546.

1- Remove top, bottom and front panel as per pages 3-1 and 3-2 in your
manual. Remove extrusion strip.

2- Remove Vox board control nuts and screws or nut from rear end of Vox
board. (leave wires on). Swing Vox board back and out of the way.

3- trim off the EXCESS insulating paper from the bottom cover of the PTO.
Use caution not to cut any wires.

4- Replace the Vox board- PTO will be removed thru the top of the unit.

5- Remove the brace from the top center of the rig.

6- On DIGITAL models- Remove the 4 screws from the front which hold the
counter assembly to front sub-panel. Swing the counter assembly back and out
of the way.

7- Note location of wires on PTO and unsolder same.

8- Remove the 2 screws holding the PTO to the sub-panel. Remove PTO by
lifting rear up and out first.

9- Rebuild PTO as per instructions provided. Clean the mating surfaces on
PTO and inside sub-panel.

10- Re-assemble rig and align as per manual as needed.

end