Re: [TenTec] I need a Titan 525 Expert!

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] I need a Titan 525 Expert!
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:21:03 -1000
Hi Larry,

You have not offered many details as to what you have already checked.
Try checking the following:

1) Model number - Most (if not all) Ten-Tec HF amplifiers model numbers
start with a 4. I have a Titan which is a 425. There have been other
versions of Titans and I thought they were all 4XX model numbers. I'll
bet that was just a typograpical error on your part, and you've really
got a 425.

2) Are the keying loop cables all hooked up correctly and are the cables
good. My 425 had some typed paper lables that fell off. So the keying
loop cables could get mixed up. If you hook them up wrong you might get
the problem you are having. The circuitry is designed to prevent hot
switching and I don't recommend that you defeat it.

3) Drive from the exciter - have you measured it with a wattmeter (or
other power indicator such as a SWR bridge) in the line from the exciter
output to the Titan drive input?

4) What kind of exciter are you using anyway? You're not giving us much
information to work with. If it is not a Ten-Tec transceiver with a
keying loop setup you will need to hook it up according to the manual
for the amplifier which shows interconnections for several kinds of
rigs. If you don't have a complete manual that shows those diagrams I
suggest you proceed no further until you get one.

The RF sensing circuit in the input of the amplifier does not work as
you have suggested, which is sort of like a CB or VHF/ UHF FM amplifier
works using the RF sensing to key the amplifier. The RF sensing circuit
in the Titan ( and other Ten-Tec QSK capable amps) actually is used to
PREVENT the amplifier from keying when there is RF drive without the
proper control signal.

I know all this information from reading the manual. If you cannot read
the manual and figure it out, you may not be qualified to operate an
amplifier. I am not intending to be insulting, however you did not offer
a callsign in your post, so it is natural to suspect you may not have a
ham license.

DE N6KB