Re: [TenTec] ARRL FTdx9000 ETR

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ARRL FTdx9000 ETR
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:38:31 -0600
Two points.

Point one:  As to CW performance and FCC Docket No. 05-235, 7/19/05, it does
not appear that it will prohibit the use of CW on any ham band.  From my
viewpoint, CW will exist on the ham bands until the sun ceases to rise in
the east.

Point two:  Hams typically make their choices on what someone else said.
And we know that what someone else said is as likely to be just as much
incorrect as it is correct correct.  Statistically, the incorrect answers
will always be vastly larger than correct answers.  In reality, referencing
the bands, the modes and such where I listen and chat on HF, I find that a
large majority of hams today have more incorrect information than correct
information.  Same goes for another segment of the US population in retail
business.

Yes, ICOM has developed the 7800 from a platform dedicated to another
service. I also hear that the other service which ICOM developed the radio
for, has declined to purchase a large number of the units thus they did not
recoup the development costs from commercial ventures.

If one considers the ham market a very small market, I view the contest
market demands for a good performing <3 KHz IMD somewhat microscopic by
comparison.

I've yet to get my hands and test equipment on a FTdx9000.  However, I did
get my hands on a IC-7800 for a period of time.  Conclusion: it is a good
radio.  But, it is not a great radio by any means.  There's several others
on the market today, and at much less price, that will run circles around
the IC-7800 receiver performance.

73
Bob, K4TAX