Re: [TenTec] Jupiter selectivity

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter selectivity
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:08:22 -0600
If it is not up to 375 watts on AM then how does one justify the RTTY an
SSTV limit of 650 watt limit, 50% duty cycle, 10 minute transmission limit?
After all RTTY  and SSTV is a carrier mode with 100% duty cycle.

PEP power is PEP power be it SSB or modulated carrier.  There's no
difference except for duty cycle.

As to your 160M operation, I suggest you look at your tuning very carefully.
My Centurion is a 1991 vintage, original tubes and the Bird 43P indicates
1200 watts plus with an Ip of about 700 ma and Ig of about 120 ma on 160M -
20M.  The tubes show very little color except when in a tune condition with
100% steady state carrier at the 1200 watt output level.  Then they warm up
nicely.  According to recent discussions, this is the opportunity for the
"getter" to de-gas the tubes.  Perhaps you are too gentle on yours and the
tubes have "gassed up".    The 15M and 10 M bands aren't quite as efficient.
When driven with the Collins S-Line, which has a bit more output than the
Omni VI Plus, on 20 M the Bird 43P shows slightly more than 1500 watts.
Here Ip is 800 ma and Ig is 130 ma.  I might add that the amp does have a
bit more gain on 20 M than any of the other bands.  Plus I have a real solid
235 VAC line to the amp.

My experience is that there is NO PROBLEM running the amp at the 300 watt
carrier output level on AM as long as the Tx time does not exceed the Rx
time {i.e. 50% duty cycle}, with a max Tx time of 10 min.  By that time one
needs to ID anyway and let the other 5 fellows in the round table take it.
By the time is gets back, it has had some 50 minutes of rest.

73
Bob, K4TAX