[TenTec] Best Headphones?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Best Headphones?
From: richard.arland@verizon.net
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:53:56 -0600 (CST)
Gang:

Having owned a Heil Pro-Set and their QRP offering for the FT-817 (can't
remember the nomenclature), plus a large number of "walk-man-type" stereo
headphones over the years, I was definately in the market for a new set of
phones when I recently procured my T-T Paragon. In addition, I also have an
Elecraft K2 that sees a lot of use, so that needed to be factored into the
equation when searching for new headphones.

Recently I undertook a "quest" to find a comfortable, lightweight,
noise-cancelling set of phones for my shack. Working about 95% CW I find it
much easier to use phones than a speaker. It allows me to play radio while
everyone esle is sleeping or puttering around. Comfort over long operating
periods was paramount, the noise cancelling feature was also a factor but not
very high up on the priority list of "wanted features".

I checked out Radio Shack (eech!), Best Buy, Circuit City and Wal-Mart, along
with several local chain stores specializing in consumer electronics.

Guess what? Wal-Mart had the best deal on Sony MDR-NC6 Noise Cancelling
headphones. Cost: $57.00, which I felt was an extremely good deal. The noise
cancelling feature really has to be experienced first hand. Although not a high
priority, now that I have a NC set, I don't want to go back to standard
headphones! They are addicitive.

The MDR-NC6 headphones are relatively lightweight and they fit well. They are
very comfortable over long periods of time and don't make my ears sweat after a
couple of hours use. They are powered by a single "AAA" cell that lasts
seemingly forever!

vy 73

Rich K7SZ