Re: [TenTec] S meter readings

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] S meter readings
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:26:57 -1000
Hi Jim,

When I started as WN6CFF in June 1970, my Hammarlund Super-Pro BC-779
had an S meter. It only goes up to 9 and it takes whopping signal to do
that. Only VOA, Radio Moscow and Radio Nederland ever moved that needle
much. Most of the people I QSOed with my home brew two tube crystal
controlled transmitter (1968 ARRL Handbook) and that Super-Pro barely
moved that S meter. It did not matter. I still worked them. Even so I
would never, ever put a piece of masking tape over that meter. By the
way it uses a bayonet socketed pilot lamp in the S meter, and the tuning
and bandspread dials use screw in (micro Edison base?) pilot lamps. And
those push-pull 6V6s really could hurt your ears if you weren't careful
with the gain controls.

DE N6KB