Re: [TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar (OT by now)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar (OT by now)
From: "C. Mark Cring" <n8coo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:30:03 -0800 (PST)
I was at Keesler in 1991 after enlisting in the  Reserves at the ripe old age
of 32.  My first AFSC was Avionics  Guidance and Control (GAC, AFIN, AGCS -
they're all the same  thing).  I always wished I was doing radio/radar but gac
was what  my unit had open. I got roped into being a rope and didn't spend too
much time on other extracurricular activities, probably just as well  since I
didn't have any money at the time.  I did a little  operating at club station
K5TYP - as I recall we had a special event on  the 50th anniversary of the base
during '91...that was about the first  and last time I had so many people
wanting to talk to me at once.   They were running an ICOM 745 at the time...as
I recall, they had some  Heathkit stuff stored away but I don't recall any Ten
Tec gear.   Seems to me like the 745 was already pretty worn and a little
squirrelly at times.  I recall mostly using a big horizontal delta  loop and it
got out pretty well.  I understand now why it was kin
 d  of
 hard to load up on 30 meters, though.

      Oh, the club station was in the old base CC (Correctional Custody)
building - the "cells" made nice storage areas.

  73 de Mark N8COO