Re: [TenTec] Orion II Curiosity

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II Curiosity
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 22:38:31 -0500
I agree with the previous comments that good speech (hi fi!) will have
a very low average power, but should show occasional peaks to 100W.
That is part of why you get the good audio reports with the Orion!  If
you want more "punch" and don't care so much about fidelity (dynamic
range), that's what the SP control is for.  Higher SP gives higher
average power and lower peak-to-average ratio.  But that's not hi fi.
Your TS-50 may have some speech processing always on-line.

Full disclosure - I rarely run SSB with SP less than 2, and I still
get fine reports.

73 Martin AA6E

--
martin.ewing@gmail.com