Re: [TenTec] [Orion] O2 versus Orion

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] O2 versus Orion
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:40:57 -0600
My experience tells me that there is a concernable difference in ones
ability to audibility and accurately "zero beat" a given signal.  Unless one
can observe the difference in beat of the two signals via the S-Meter
fluctuations as the frequency gets very close, it is thus below the audio
passband of the and certainly below the low frequency hearing of most folks.
Less than 30  to 50 Hz for example.  Therefore the 1 Hz resolution or ones
desire to achieve such is of rapidly questionable accuracy.

To this end, I prefer to actually measure the transmitter output or actual
oscillator frequency with a suitable counter capable of measuring to 0.01 Hz
at the desired frequency or better.  Truthfully, not many hams have access
to such high accuracy items as their cost is several times that of an Orion
II.  Thus we do more "referencing" than actually measuring of frequency
values.  In each case, the reference add a percentage of error +/- to the
resolution method.

I took some time to "practice" various zero beat methods this morning and
then looked at the actual transmitter frequency.  In most cases I was able
to get within 30 to 50 Hz of the desired frequency but certainly in fact no
closer, as the audio passband fell apart below 30 Hz and there was simply
"nothing to hear" coming out of the receiver.   Once I got closer in
frequency then I was able to detect the swing of the S-Meter and bring
things in a good bit closer.  Still, accuracy of 1 Hz was questionable.

We must remember that these radios are not designed to be frequency meters
or frequency counters and thus the stability and repeatability is very
questionable when one gets into the single digit Hz region.   Then why do
they put 1 Hz resolution on radios?  To be better than the next fellow and
to sell radios with features.

73
Bob, K4TAX