Re: [TenTec] [Orion] O2 versus Orion

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] O2 versus Orion
From: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:55:17 -0600
With all due respect to Bill, I think the ability to detect "zero beat",
or to detect differences between two tones, has very little to do with
the acuity of one's hearing.  It has to do with something else in the
brain.

I say this because I am extremely hard of hearing and have worn hearing
aids for the past 40 years.  My ability to hear anything above about
4000 cycles is very limited.  About ten years ago I took part in a
rather sophisticated aptitude testing regimen and part of the testing
had to do with something called "pitch discrimination".  I took the test
twice, with hearing aids on and with them off, and scored 100% both
times.   With my hearing aids off the tester had to crank up the volume
quite a bit so I could hear the higher pitched tones.  Most of the tone
pairs were quite closely spaced, but I think my CW training (and
listening to weak signals on the low bands) may have made some
difference.  It certainly wasn't because I have good ears!