Re: [TenTec] [Orion] O2 versus Orion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] O2 versus Orion
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:57:01 -0500
One listens not to the two tones, in an effort to discriminate them, but
rather to the slow "thrummmm  thrummmmm...." that repeats at very low speeds
when you get the tones close.  That is, the amplitude of the thrummmm builds
and fades at the beat frequency.

You can hear this when you tune a piano, and the beating goes away when the
two strings are matched.  Some of us like to tune our pianos for a little
"roll" to add a certain sound, and so you then tune the strings so the
thrummming is slightly there.

One used to hear this occasionally on older airplanes also, where two piston
engines would be slightly apart in speed.  You could hear a very slow
build-up and drop off of the amplitude of the sound, until the pilot matched
speeds.  Of course you don't hear that any more with modern equipment.

Has not a thing to do with your ability to hear, say, a 30 Hz tone.  The
thrummm that you hear, while I never measured it, is at a much higher
frequency than that....perhaps a  couple hundred Hz or so.  But it Varies
very slowly in amplitude over time - that is, at the beat frequency.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ