Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Audio

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Audio
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:54:45 EST
While the Argo V, with its 350 Hz bass roll-off, does sound "thin," remember
that bass frequencies do not contribute to intelligibility.  The Argo's
primary application is as a stand-alone QRP radio, and as such improving the
bass
response would reduce the Argo's ability to get through DX pile-ups or to be
heard in weak-signal situations.  The Argo only has so many watts available,
and
putting watts into bass inevitably takes them away from the higher frequencies
which do contribute to intelligibility.  I obviously wasn't there, but it
would seem logical to me that the choice of the Argo's audio response was
deliberate.

I would hope, then, that if TT decides to put out a software mod to improve
the bass response, that they not bundle other changes with it.  That way,
implementing the mod would be completely optional with the user.  Those who
want
more natural-sounding audio could go ahead and put the mod in, while those who
are primarily QRP weak-signal ops and DXers could leave it out.

As for me, I'll just keep on with CW and RTTY.

73,

Ray W2RS