Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Audio

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Audio
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:48:33 EST
Hi all,

Summarizing many of the comments that have appeared on this topic since my
post, they seem to fall into two groups:

1.  Those whose SSB operation with the Argo V consists mostly of ragchewing
or casual operating, i.e., relatively strong signals with relatively light QRM,
would rather have more natural-sounding audio than the Argo V currently
produces with its 350 Hz bass roll-off.  (I am referring to those Argo Vs that
have
been updated to 1.08.  Those before 1.08 have other problems that I did not
address.)

2.  Those whose SSB operation with the Argo V consists mostly of QRP DXing,
i.e., pile-ups and weak-signal operation, mostly find that the existing audio
(again including 1.08) suits their needs because it emphasizes the higher audio
frequencies that contribute to signals being heard under such conditions.

Group 2 is what I meant by the term "intelligibility."  As Joel and others
have pointed out, decades of research at Bell Labs, the Signal Corps, etc.,
have
established that frequencies below 300 Hz or so do not contribute to
intelligibility under such conditions.

On the other hand, if signals are stronger, a flatter frequency response
across the speech spectrum is often desirable.  Thus my suggestion of a
single-purpose upgrade that would enable those who want a lower roll-off to
have it but
that could be ignored by those satisfied with what they now have.

73,

Ray W2RS