Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Audio

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Audio
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:40:07 -0600
Joel, actually there were extensive intelligibility tests which are quoted
in all the acoustic text books at our lab at the "U".  I am in other
branches of acoustics but the speech acousticians will relate that the
restricted band 300 to 3K optimizes how well you hear something.  In fact,
you might think of it as kids have TOO MUCH bandwidth.  If you study the
principles of filters, narrowing the band you listen to, (or receive)
optimizes the Signal to Noise issue.  The choice of those frequencies is
deliberate not based on age of the person hearing the sounds, but on how the
ear works, and its frequency response curve.

Stuart
K5KVH