Re: [TenTec] ORION

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION
From: John Nason / NA9U <na9u@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:45:14 -0800 (PST)
I too fell into that trap of disliking the Orion II. I
got my Orion II late Thursday and it took until now
for me to realize this is the best radio I ever
bought.  I chased 3y0x with it right out of the box
and frustrated myself because I did not know what the
hell I was doing.

You really need to WORK with and UNDERSTAND the Orion.
It is not a plug and play system.  This has been said
over and over on this reflector.  I read all the KF6DX
stuff before but it was meaningless until I got the
Orion.  So then I had to read it again and again.

Once I got used to managing the rig and started
checking into my ususal nets and regular QSO's I
finally realized how powerful this radio is for an
operator.  When around signals I was familiar with I
could do an objective measurement. On my CW traffic
nets I can hear a guy I used to never hear (same
antenna btw).  On the SSB traffic I could everyone:)
I quit checking into that net because could only hear
1 out 5 NCS's and usually only 10 or guys. Now I hear
the enitire net (again, same antenna).

I am so happy I bought this radio.  BTW, I was not
saying that Friday and Saturday:)

Now back to that damn 3Y0X:)

73,
John NA9U