Re: [TenTec] Orion I V2 Beta

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion I V2 Beta
From: Mike Gorniak <mgorniak@genesiswireless.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:11:34 -0600
After working with this today for several hours, it's my belief that
there is a gain structure issue in Orion 1 V2 Beta. Even with very low
levels of drive into the auxiliary input, my monitored (with another
receiver) audio is distorted when engaging the speech processor at Any
setting. I did not test the microphone input directly, as I never use it
in my operation. The distortion is severe enough that it significantly
alters the frequency response as well. Try as I might, I could not get
the transmit audio to sound the same in V2 as it did in 1.372. Even with
the Speech Processor Off, the audio is not as clean as 1.372. I have
external EQ and compression, but can't get the clean sound I had
previously. When I reinstalled 1.372, the problems disappeared completely.

Others have reported a "pinched sound"...to me it's just distortion.YMMV

73,

Mike
NM7X