Re: [TenTec] re QST ad

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] re QST ad
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:10:36 -0800
While I agree that is probably the case, when we were involved in
hosting a couple of ARRL
conventions, it was pretty much a given that the Big Three and Ham Radio
Outlet would rent
booth space; normally two or three spaces.  Why?  Because they would be
conspicuous by
their absence.  It was a much harder sell to get the smaller vendors,
who wisely questioned
the return on investment.

I'm surprised that ARRL has any luck selling classified ad space in QST
these days, given the
myriad ways of buying/selling/trading gear on the Internet.  I'm sure
you've noticed how
quickly things sell when advertised on this list.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:

>I think all of the major ham rig manufacturers could halt all magazine
>advertising TODAY and nothing would miss a beat.  They are so well
>established, well known, and so many hams have internet access they could
>get by with just their websites.   I expect within the next 10 to 20 years
>QST will go entirely on-line.   No vendor or manufacturer really needs those
>full-page ads.  Most of the product information hams get is off the internet
>now.   For me, the ads at the front and back of QST make up a sort of
>monthly "catalog" to flip through, but not use for real information
>gathering.   The only good purpose they serve is to notify me of a new
>vendor or product I didn't know about before and because of that, the
>businesses that really need QST are the little guys who are starting up and
>buy the single column inch display ads to use as a sort of "we exist--here's
>our web address" type of heads-up.  BTW, does anyone look at the Ham-ad
>classifieds still?

<snip>