[TenTec] Orion/Orion II Firmware

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion/Orion II Firmware
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 01:14:47 -0600
Sinisa,
Your testing, and finding the "spur problem" in the V2 firmware, is a good
reminder that most of us don't really validate the performance of the radio
with our "limited usage." We may realize that the Notch Filter and the
Auto-Notch filters are not removing the signal inside the AGC loop - thus
leaving the radio subject to having the AGC pumped by a notched signal. And, we
may realize that the "popping or sizzling" noise in the audio represents an
error in the firmware. But most of us do not do enough testing to really know
whether the Orion "performance" is up to where the original DSP code had it
when it was tested - and praised - by the ARRL lab (Likely their testing would
have found this "spur" problem).

Thanks for taking another step in testing the radio. It would seem that TenTec
did not find this bug in their testing. I think we all need to continue to test
and validate Orion stability, function and performance.
73,
Merle - W0EWM