Re: [TenTec] Orion I V2.055 Spurious Response

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion I V2.055 Spurious Response
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 23:22:38 -0600
"Just loaded 1.373b5 and it appears the same as 2.055.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VE3EA"

Sinisa,
I saw the note that you had seen the "reverse spur" on V1.373b5 so I went back
to try the tests again today - Barry also said he had found the same "reverse
spur." Tonight I re-ran the test on 80M, then 20M and then 30M. I ran the test
in both USB mode and LSB mode - following Grants comments. I was ready to give
up and suggest that I must have a "superior" Orion that showed absolutely no
signs of the "reverse spur." As I indicated in my earlier note, I did find some
spurs on 80M and 20M - up from the main signal - but they were very very weak
and not "reversed."

However, before I quit, I tried the test one more time on 40M - LSB - (S9
Signal 7074.9-7078) and I did find - but barely perceptible (I had to run the
test several times to even get the frequency range due to the signal weakness)
a "reverse spur" from 7078.9 to 7081. This spur was really at the edge of the
"minimum discernable signal" from my observation - I did not do a calibrated
attenuation to see where it was not discernable. I then switched to USB. The S9
signal was from 7075 to 7071.8 and the - again the barely perceptible - reverse
spur was from 7071.4 to 7068.4 . The spur range measurements have more digits
of precision then accuracy due to the very very weak levels.

So I can find the "reverse spur" on the Orion with V1, but I could not find it
at all on 80M, 20M or 30M. And the signal strength on 40M was right at the
noise level. The tests I ran last night with V2.055 found the reverse spur at
very easily heard audio levels - much stronger then I see in the one case where
I found it on the Orion running V1.

One radio does not a "statistical sample" make. But I think it would be useful
for TenTec to look at this further. I certainly see a very - very - large
difference in the bands I find this on and the spur signal level on V2.055 VS.
V1.373b5.
73,
Merle - W0EWM