Re: [TenTec] Scout

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scout
From: Greg G <seminole791@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:06:11 -0800 (PST)
You can count me as another Scout fan. I have had mine for about a year and I
too enjoy its simplicity. In fact, I use the Scout more than any other radio
that I have in the shack. Its fun to use and I find the variable filter to be
excellent!

  For the past couple of Club events that we have had (most recent was JOTA) ,
I have brought the Scout along and use it. Its nice to have a rig that anyone
can sit down and operate without having to mess with menus or an instruction
manual.

  I think the most impressive thing that I hear about the radio are the
positive, unsolicited comments on the SSB audio quality. Sure shocks me since
this is the simplest radio in the shack.

  The only downside that I have experienced with the Scout is when operating
from a battery. If battery voltage drops below 12v, then I can't get the full
50w from the without the rig going berserk. I typically have to adjust the PA
to about 30w or so to operate from a SLA-type battery. Maybe I should build a
device to increase the voltage a couple of volts? Hmmmmm...

  All in all, I really like the Scout. Now I just need to get modules for the
warc bands and 160m.

  73,
  Greg VA3KUG