Re: [TenTec] new mics

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new mics
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:41:10 +0000
ur probably fine with the pr40. the ten tec mics look great as far as the specs are concerned. the problem i have is with the 708 design. who can comfortably use a mic where the element, stand and switch are all in one unit that's around 6" high? I guess if you are 4 feet tall it's okay. everyone else, you have to hunch over to talk into it every time you want to transmit. if i believed in chiropractors i'd be seeing one soon after using that mic. and what they expect that silly little 5 inches or so of goose neck to accomplish is beyond me. then there's the coiled cord. so you are pretty much driven to picking the thing up and turning it into a hand mic and at that point, you have that coiled cord tugging at you. Better to simply buy a hand mic and get it over with, or get the 709 with an articulated boom, and foot switch. the 708 seems to be a mic designed by cw operators.

rob / k5uj

<<<Wish I had known Ten Tec was coming out with the new microphones before I
plunked down the change for this PR-40!!  That 709A looks very nice, and am
anxious to hear how it works.  I still have my old SM-1 shock absorber for
the boom from the Goldline days, and that would look nice with the O2!
73,
Don, WB5HAK >>>