[TenTec] Orion Sub-Receiver

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Sub-Receiver
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:50:42 -0600
Carl(N4PY) the Orion is my first TenTec radio so I don't know the history of
"specific nomenclature." However, I spent a lot of time with the R-390. I think
you forgot to say that the R-390 had a 4KC(Old terminology :) , an 8KC and a
16KC filter. Maybe that is what you meant by needing other "choices," although
with the V1 12KHZ filter the broadcast AM sounded great. I'm not sure what
bandwidth you need for some of these new broadcast modes?

Grant, "nullified" is a big word. I would just say that there is a better way
to do the demod and the Orion V2 really ought to support it, like the Orion V1
does. Doesn't seem like a big issue, but it really is part of the "package." V1
was never fully stable, as admitted by TenTec. But the Orion had a particular
set of "functionality and performance." As part of "fixing the stability issue"
with V2, I certainly expect the full functionality and performance of the V1
Orion. I am also always concious of the fact that even if I don't use/need a
feature very much, it does contribute to the value of the radio - particularly
if the next owner finds that feature important.

I hope that the time will come when, as we all talked about 2 years ago, TenTec
will actually be able to provide new functionality and maybe even better
performance is some areas - like the AM Synchronous detector.

Anyway, I look forward to your NR measurements that are up-coming!
73,
Merle