Re: [TenTec] Orion ll Audio

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion ll Audio
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:11:14 -0800
I checked the frequency response using pink noise, and again the
old-fashioned way with a sig gen, and found pretty much what I found before:

- 1 dB @ 300 Hz
-2 dB @ 200 Hz
-4 dB @ 150 Hz
-9 dB @ 100 Hz
-11 dB @ 70 Hz
-13 dB @ 50 Hz

The SP showed no significant difference in response, but in fooling around
with it, I determined that its function is related to the input level, and
the various settings just increase the input level.  The time constants
probably change too, but I have no way of measuring them.  The faster
time-constants is why there is distortion at the higher drive levels, and I
have found that cutting the bass with an external EQ cleans up the
distortion.  I haven't tried the O2 EQ, but it may do the same.

The SP shouldn't need to be on unless you want to get louder, which no
matter how you cut it means it won't sound as good as with a gentle-acting
ALC alone.  If you need to get louder, SP should help, not hinder, by
cutting the bass and boosting the high end automatically to reduce
distortion and increase 'punch'.   When I do that with the IHY box, it  gets
good and loud, but the clipping action could be better.

The EQ curve is much like in the book: ugly!  If you boost the bass, you get
a bad-looking decline in the high end, and vice-versa with the cut.  The
high-end boost you get in the minus EQ range is probably a good thing for DX
and contest work, but I wouldn't use it for much else, except maybe AM
pre-emphasis.

If they would simply restore the flat response to what they show in the book
(-6 dB @ 50 Hz) it would sound as good as a TS-870.

I wonder where TT is getting their "rave reviews"?  I think they read the
e-ham reviews.  Maybe that's the forum to get some action.

Ron N6AHA