Re: [TenTec] Hooking up an Amplifier for the first time...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hooking up an Amplifier for the first time...
From: Jim <jlboockh@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:44:43 -0600
I had a GLA-1000 that I attempted to use with my Omni VI. Keying was no
problem, since the VI contains a relay to use with older amps. I suspect
the Jupiter has no such relay, requiring the external interface.

My problem was that the GLA-1000 lacks a tuned input circuit. It was
designed for exciters with tube finals, so input from the exciter is
through a capacitor. This presented varying impedances (not 50 ohm) to
the output of the Omni VI causing it to cut back its power. I could only
get full power out of the amp by using a small tuner between it and the
Omni VI. This had to be adjusted differently on each band. That was too
much hassle, so I sold the amp.

You also have to be very, very careful tuning it. Drive a GLA-1000 out
of resonance for 10 seconds and the tubes are destroyed. It was a "great
little amp" when it was produced, but I'll never own another one. Good luck!

                        Jim  N4AL