Re: [TenTec] Apartment antenna help

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Apartment antenna help
From: Randy Russe3ll <lord_russell53@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:30:30 -0800 (PST)
Don't forget, little creepy-crawly pieces of  #28 ins.
wire have been known to slithery out of teeny window
sash cracks, and hang almost 3-stories to the ground.
Sometimes they sneak back inside during daylight, and
sneak back out when it gets dark. No on ever said you
HAVE to feed a 1/4 at the bottom.  In fact isn't it
better to have all the feedpoint current at the top?
(That's what a bobtail or halfsquare is) You might be
able to wire some invisisble #28 around the building,
up under the eaves, etc.  I would be thinking
ballanced ant systems to eliminate the grounding
delimas. But at you low pwr levels, shouldn't matter
if a gnd plane set up is used.  If you need gnd plane
system antennas requiring radials, the copper flashing
would make a good solution.  NOT, the kind you get
from the Ham Cos.  The kind you get at Home Depot. I
got a 25' roll, 1 ft. wide, for $22.  Used for my
Station gnd connection. But now I'm geting other
ideas.  So many uses.  You can cut that into strips
and have 300-400 feet of 1 inch wide  radials, for
instance.  Portable, stealth or high performance
applications abound.  One side is mounted with
protective paper glued on. You could have it on the
wall with paper side out and paint it. Some sheets or
strips tucked  under the rug or wall mounted can give
you a pretty solid gnd plane.  What about voltage fed
antennas, those fed at the high voltage end, like a
bobtail for instance? Whereas gnd planes need lots of
longer radials due to the current point they are fed
at, high voltage feeds require only very sq. ft. of
screen or solid plate for a radial systems, to achieve
the efficiency of 120 full sized  radials of their 1/4
wave gp counterparts.  Even a 4'x 4' piece of chicken
wire will make a sufficient gnd plane for an antenna
fed at the voltage maxima. I would think that a x
(cross) out of the copper flashing from 1' wide, you
should have a good high voltage gnd.  Supplement it a
little where you can and maybe connect all the ends of
the cross with a small wire. I'm thinking a half wave
of wire here, with a few feet square for ground
screen. To match it,  #12 bare wire, wound around a
piece of pvc pipe or such and then pulled off for your
air inductor.  Center wire of coax taps along this for
the proper match, with the propera coax length cut for
your high voltqage capacitor, gives you a 50
feedpoint. The bottom of inductor, and coax braid, go
to you ground screen ":ground"  I have a site I can
send to calculate the length of coax to cut for the
High Voltage cap, and number of coil turns to use for
various freq. I can post if you would like. I like to
use a PVC electrical connection box, which coe with
four screws and a rubbergasket, to house the thing.
It can be mounted just outside window (or just inside)
Once you've found the proper tap, seal it up.  These
can be had for 2-3 dollars at Home Depot. Very
affordable antenna system, and can be built to handle
any power level up to a KW.  Then you've got hatted
dipoles, Horiz, and vert., with sheets of copper on
each end, say one on the eave, one on the ground---but
that;s a different story. Well, that's my .02 worth
73s and happy stealthing. Don't let the bastards keep
you down!