Re: [TenTec] The ORION II sure makes me happy

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The ORION II sure makes me happy
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 07:10:57 -0600

>============snip===============
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
>griping to the spectators rather than
>the engineer, who can actually do something about
>the problem. ;-) I still don't get it.
>
>============end snip=============
>Well, I think you have phrased a "whine" there! (maybe without realizing
>it, but maybe you have your poker face April 1st tounge in cheek on there
>with the little ";-)" symbol..) In any event, your point is well taken,
>it's not doing any good because.. the engineers aren't within listening
>distance. hi hi
>
>As to the spectators at the track, I thought most on the refector were "in
>the race", not watching from the sidelines,.. .. I said it before, and it
>bears repeating.. TT is playing to a tough audience. Top contesters, Top
>Dxers, and very serious hams worldwide have bought into Orion. It is not a
>place for the faint of heart. As my mother used to say, ".. if you can't
>take the heat in the kitchen.."
snip

TT may be playing to a tough audience, but this reflector does not by any
means reflect only the "tough audience"  Although I would agree the DX
Contesters etc. may be contributing to most of the noise on this reflector,
there are many "reflectees" who are here because they use their Ten Tec
radios for plain ole rag chewing, CW nets, phone nets, maybe even some
traffic nets.  In other words they are operating for the simple enjoyment of
operating!  It isn't all competition.

I have had a Ten-Tec radio of some kind for years.  I had a Model 544 for
years buying it new and just never had a hankering for another until long
after the WARC bands came out and thought I was needing more radio.  I then
went to an Omni VI.  I sent it back to the factory for the option III update
and still have it to this day.  I always tend to keep on the trailing edge
of technology.

I have been reading all the post both pro and con about the Orions and have
not made been able to form a definite opinion.  I won't form an opinion
until I have actually tried an Orion.  I don't even believe that I need
another radio.  The Orion II is too new, and I really am not interested in
the so called software defined radio (or whatever they are called).  I don't
want to have to have a computer to operate my radio.  Using a computer to
update the flash memory is tolerable.

Keep all those comments coming.  Stay in the kitchen if you want, or go to
the comfortable shack and have fun.

73, Jim de wd4air