Re: [TenTec] Signal generator recommendations?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Signal generator recommendations?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 21:16:26 -0500
On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 19:46 -0500, Al Gulseth wrote:
> Needing more advice here:
>
> I'm thinking strongly that I need to pick up a signal generator since I seem
> to be quite frequently dealing with minor issues on my "collection" of old
> PTO based rigs. What would be a step up from the old Eico/Heath etc. type
> offerings that would [hopefully] be inexpensive and have a relatively small
> footprint? I'd like to have a calibrated attenuator if possible but beyond
> that, as long as it covers the HF range and is reasonably stable I'm not
> picky (analog is fine, doesn't have to be synthesized). Also, I'd prefer
> solid state if possible. Maybe something of the older HP etc. offerings like
> the HP 8601 without the sweep function?

HP8640B. There is a military version too that's often less pricey. It
has really good stability and phase noise and a super attenuator. Covers
450 KHz to 512 MHz. It has a digital frequency lock and will hold almost
frequency standard accuracy.

I have a URM-25. It needs all the black beauty capacitors replaced and
its not all that great for stability or for amplitude calibration and it
has a rotten RF waveform with lots of harmonic energy. Its all tubes.

The HP606A or B is quite good, but all tubes and not at all compact. The
early A versions could be fried by running a full output for a while.
Fixing was a pain. That should be a problem with the B model.
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,