Re: [TenTec] the TT pod -- answering the critics.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] the TT pod -- answering the critics.
From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 17:40:30 -0400
A couple of grumpuses have asked me why I just didn't fix the Pegasus
Pod myself, rather than buy a new one or even think about sending it to
the factory for service.  Why one guy accused me of not being a "real
ham."  (Friends and family would deny this -- and it has nothing to do
with amateur radio).

Well, my answer is two-fold.  One:  I didn't feel like it.  Two: I am
busy with many other projects including recapping two old Hammarlunds,
restoring and modifying a Drake R-4C and building an all-new solid state
AM transmitter and related gear (modulation monitor and scope, etc,)
that reflect the state of the broadcasting art (see Nautel's site, for
instance).

This snappy rebuttal to my critics gives me a chance to show off a
little bit.  Yesterday, after awaiting the arrival of a couple of exotic
components for many weeks, I was able to finish my AM exciter.  I also
have the 250 amp for it done, but not the output filters, amp power
supply and control circuits.

Anyway, the exciter excites and I tested it on 40 meters briefly last
night.  I recorded the results off the air on my Hallicrafters SX-42
(excuse the hiss -- the antenna was shorted to ground and the noise
floor of the old radio is 1946 vintage-- as am I).  I've posted a sound
file of my two and a half watt signal at www.aerialacts.com/AM
test_initial.mp3 .  The audio needs shaping to achieve the full fidelity
I want, but that's a matter of tweaking (I hope).

The reason I'm so happy with this is because it's the first serious
piece of gear I've homebrewed from scratch in many years.  Maybe I
haven't always been a "real ham", but I am again now. So THERE, ya old
curmudgeons! (Wait a minute, I'm an old curmudgeon, too).

73,

Craig
W3CRR