Re: [TenTec] Reflector is getting effective at killing sales

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Reflector is getting effective at killing sales
From: Tod Glenn <n7jqw@cordite.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:44:20 -0600
On Apr 17, 2006, at 7:34 AM, NJ0IP wrote:

> Hey Berry, in my 30 years of working in the IT industry (where the
> software
> bug was invented), I do not recall anyone ever publicly publishing
> a bug
> list and certainly no list of expected fix dates.

It's common practice in the opensource community to not only report
bugs, but list bugs so that you can see if a bug has been reported.
Mozilla and a large number of other projects in fact use 'bugzilla'
which is specifically for this purpose.  A quick glance at almost any
project on sourceforge will show any number of bugs, their status and
who's working on them.

I've only been in the IT industry for 15 years, but at several of the
software companies where i worked, it was common practice to publish
'issues' with particular software products.  It cuts down on a lot of
tech support calls is you tell people "yes, we are aware of the
problem and yes we are working on it.'

There are currently 150 ham radio related software projects on
sourceforge. TenTec could learn something from any one of the
projects.  Here's a typical bug report for Xastir, the opensource
APRS software.

----
Tod Glenn
N7JQW