[TenTec] Pegasus and digital modes

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus and digital modes
From: Paul <designer@quickdata.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:29:27 -0700
Ten Tec'ers- sorry if this is too long. I almost answered direct, but
maybe there is someone else out there just ready to try - or at least
watch - these digital modes. Ten Tec gear is so great for that. I
like it because it brings back the magic of long distance with low
power - without "officially" operating QRP (under 5w)

Craig,
Answering from my ArgoV experience...
1) You will see that the waterfall - the window - in which the
digital signals appear is usually 2.7Khz or so wide. If you are
talking with one person and a strong station is too annoying, then
you can play with dialing it down/narrower. But until you get more
experience, receive at 2.7 to 3Khz wide

Yes, you will use USB for PSK31 and many other interesting digital
modes - like Olivia - near 100% copy when all you can hear is noise
static on the RX!

2) DXSoft has pretty good software but not the easiest to configure.
I'd start with WinPSK (google it). It makes it easy to set your RX
and TX levels. Your audio output goes into your soundcard audio in -
I actually use LineLevel and a RASCAL hardware interface - one plug
to the Argo and I'm done. WinPSK will show you an envelope pattern
and you can adjust the computer sound card level till you overdrive,
then back off a bit. For TX, WinPSK has a Tune button to set your
antenna tuner, then you can press TX to get a two-tone idle to set
your TX level. Again I use line level in and adjust the computer
output level till the ALC starts to flicker, then back of a bit.

  Once those are set you just click in the middle of a stream in the
waterfall to see the QSO and push TX and start typing in the output
window to send.

But though WinPSK makes it easy to setup, I'd move to another free
program to send and set up macros. PSK31 Deluxe as part of the free
HamRadioDeluxe package is great. You can watch 15 QSO's or more at
the same time if you want - they all appear as separate "ticker tape"
text across the screen.

3) Check the DigitalRadio newsgroup on Yahoo. PSK31 is a good place
to start and once you are comfortable with that more to other modes.
Nearly everyone and their brother - softwarewise - supports PSK31.
You have to look a little further and maybe pay some money for other
modes. For example, MixW supports Olivia but cost money. MultiPSK
also support Olivia and is free - but I find MixW cleaner to use and
easy to switch between many other digital modes - including CW, SSTV,
RTTY, etc.

4) you didn't ask it - but keep you TX power down around 30 watts or
less. I run 15 to 20 on the Argo and   work South American Countries
pretty well. Digital mode don't need high power.

73,
Paul