[TenTec] Hearing disabled CW OP Seeks Special Omni Filter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Hearing disabled CW OP Seeks Special Omni Filter
From: "Peter Hoon" <peter@nednet.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:47:56 -0600
Fellows,

Four questions at the end.

Have just bought an Omni VI Plus manufactured in mid-1998 with optional 1.8
kHz SSB filters in the 6.3 and 9 mHz IF strips.  (I think I am all set up
for SSB).  I believe this radio has all post 1997 factory mods.

My hearing is 12 db down at about 500 Hz, but as much as 45 db down at the
880 Hz CW note in the Omni VI plus. At 1500 Hz, am as much as 70 dB down.
Have constant ringing tinitus at high frequency due to irreversible damage
in the cochlea.

Several years ago, perhaps 1998, there was available a special CW filter
(I'm not sure whether at 250 or 500 Hz bandwidth) possibly sold under the
auspices of N4PY to lower the CW note in the Omni rigs.

1) Any chance a list member has one for sale?  Any chance list members know
where I might get one at this late date?

2)  Would also like recommendations/advice regarding exactly what filters I
should buy to get most noise reduction and best performance from the Omni
VI+ on CW.  For example, should I buy 250 or 500 Hz filters for both the 6.3
and 9 mHz IFs? Is the 600 Hz roofing filter available from Inrad
recommended?

http://www.qth.com/inrad/kits.htm#tentec

Is it possible I would actually be happier with 500 Hz filters in the 6.3
and 9 mHz IFs, since one op said they work a little better with the pass
band tuning on the Omni VI+ than the 250 Hz filters do?

3)  If I were able to find the special N4PY "lowered tone" CW filter, what
other set of CW filters should I buy that are compatible with it?

4)  In addition to crystal filters, should I invest in the Timewave
DSP-599zx especially for SSB summertime noise reduction? (As you probably
know, for hearing disabled, getting rid of as much background noise as
possible is a priority for both CW and SSB.)

http://www.timewave.com/dsp599zx.html

Generally, my major interest is CW, but I've got to have good SSB
performance (in the midst of summer QRN) for possible fire emergency work
with the Red Cross this summer.

Thanks for  ideas and recommendations from any and all.

73s,

Peter
VE1CHS (Formerly WA0BAV)
Nederland, Colorado