Re: [TenTec] Orion as AM radio

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion as AM radio
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 08:45:34 -1000
When I said I'd want a big tube transmitter, it is not because I believe
the myth that this is the only way to get good AM. I don't doubt at all
that modern solid state transmitters using digital or switching mode
modulation schemes can produce quality AM much more efficiently than
with a plate modulated tube rig. With the technology available today,
you could instead have GPS disciplined master oscillator TX and RX
exactly on frequency running SSB, and get just as good audio fidelity,
no? So I say if you're gonna use the high tech stuff, don't use twice as
much bandwidth as necessary. If you want to be nostalgic and use AM, may
as well go all the way and use some big iron.

As far as using the reasoning that "it still sells so there must be a
reason", well no doubt there is a reason, but not necessarily a sound
technical reason, more likely a mythical reason. I have seen in audio
enthusiast magazines, gold plated connector AC power cords for sale,
claiming that the trained ear can detect the subtle improvement in the
timbre of the audio. Many things will sell without good reason. And yes,
tube amps are popular, especially with guitar players, not because they
produce less distortion, but rather because the distortion they produce
is more pleasant.

DE N6KB