Re: [TenTec] new O 2

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new O 2
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 15:00:57 -0500
Gregg,
        My recommendation would be to remember the Orion is different
from any radio you've used before.  It has extreme control flexibility
which can, if you try to jump right in, get confusing.  So, as someone
already mentioned, sit down with the manual and the rig, and play with it
for a while to learn how all the controls work.  There is a learning
curve.  Next, once you're feeling more comfortable with that (probably a
week or so), move on to learn about how to set the AGC to give you an
advantage in different band conditions.  There are papers available on
the TT web site as well as the one by Sinisa (excellent) which will guide
you on this.  If you have a copy of the DVD that TT put together on the
original Orion describing the transceiver operation, that may also be
useful.
        Mostly, just enjoy the new radio!  You'll be hearing things you
couldn't pull out of the QRM or QRN before.  Enjoy the fine CW operation,
and the outstanding audio on SSB.  I run my Orion on RTTY all the time,
where it also does a great job.  I am antenna-limited, and the Orion
really gives me an advantage in pulling 'em out of the soup.

        Have fun!

        73,  Duane

On Mon, 1 May 2006 08:38:54 -0500 "Gregg Seidl" <K9KL@centurytel.net>
writes:
> Today my new Orion 2 should come.I hope I like it as much as some of
> you do.I was going to get an Icom IC-7800 but you can't get one for
> weeks.I enjoy contesting on ssb and also cw but not as much as ssb.I
> also like dxing and ragchewing.I have never owned a Ten Tec though I
> thought about getting an Orion when it first came out but I thought
> I would let them "grow" a little.Any ideas for a newbie or help
> would be great.Please no negativity.   Gregg  K9KL

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas