Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec, Jupiter, etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec, Jupiter, etc.
From: "Buhyoff, Greg" <buhyoff@vt.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 11:47:39 -0400
 Just wanted to throw in my comments about the Jupiter and Ten-Tec.  First,
I've owned a lot of HF transceivers (No Orions yet -- but soon I hope).  I use
an FT 1000, Omni VI plus, Argonaut V and a Jupiter. I have had several FT 1000
versions, an FT 990, IC 746, 756, 761, 765, 781 etc. and Kenwoods of all
colors.  I guess I've owned about 30 or 35 transceivers along the way.

I love my Omni VI plus.  But, it is odd, with all the radios I have had and
have, it is the darn Jupiter that keeps getting the air time.  When I first got
it, some folks, with the greatest intentions, told me that is was a good radio
but had not been updated (firmware) in a while.  I got lucky after I  bought a
new one.  BINGO, two new firmware updates came out and the one that counted the
most to me was the new filtering changes.  Strong adjacent signals can be taken
care of with the bandwidth control and even when it is tightened down to as low
as 1650, the SSB audio is clearly intelligible.  The Jupiter has the nicest
receive audio I have heard (and actually, the Argonaut V right there with it).
The new filtering algorithms in the latest version are excellent and the noise
floor is outstanding.  I can easily read S1 signals on 40 meters with it -- of
course assuming no loud atmospherics, etc.  It simply has an excellent
receiver.  I am sure the Orion is much better.  I a
 ctually prefer the Jupiter's receiver (with the new upgrades) in some ways to
the Omni VI plus --- The VI plus is better in other ways.  But this is not a
comment about a comparison of the two but a general comment about Ten-Tec
transceivers, from my own experience.  I work both CW (wonderful on CW) and
SSB.  I am not a digital mode op.  I wouldn't trade any of the Ten-Tec radios I
have.  I have been a Ten-Tec owner for about 18 years with many Icoms, Yaesus
and Kenwoods mixed in along the way.  And, the performance of the Ten-Tecs have
always been better, in my personal opinion and according to my tastes in
operating, than the many other radios I've had and tried side by side with the
Ten-Tecs.  The Service folks at Ten-Tec are outstanding.  They answer
questions, help you trouble shoot, if you should need it, and give you time on
the phone that is above and beyond anything I have ever experienced.  No, I am
not a Ten-Tec groupie ....... I just give credit where credit is d
 ue.  I could go on as many others on this group could --- but, I'll stop here
and simply give my nod to Ten-Tec, their customer assistance and their
equipment.

73,
Greg K2UM