Re: [TenTec] Mobile CW

To: "Paul Gates, KD3JF" <pearly732003@yahoo.com>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Mobile CW
From: "Larry Menzel" <retire@means.net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 08:13:54 -0500
Hi, Paul, et.al.,

That's a very interesting question.

I was first licensed in 1979 after my total disallusionment with CB radio.
I was also driving an 18 wheeler at that time...an interim job that lasted
11 years...when I first got interested in being a ham.  That was interesting
in itself, as I really had no "Elmer" to help me along.  I bought some ARRL
publications and got my ticket a few months later...all self taught.  Of
course, I soon met lots of hams, and have had wonderful fraternal support
ever since.

Because I was always on the road, and because I didn't have a station at
home, my truck became my shack.  FT301D, Metron kw amplifier, Hustler
antennas, 2 meter and 70cm rigs...the whole enchillada in the cab.

I went to a field day activity in 1980.  I was fascinated by the cw
operation by a fellow who later became a good friend and decided then and
there that I would become a proficient cw op.  BUT...previous problem, my
hamshack was on wheels.

Initially, I would stop where ever I was, pull into a rest area or an on/off
ramp from the highway and copy W1AW code practice, writing things down,
learning the darn code.  As my proficiency grew, I summoned the courage to
get on the air...from the truck while parked. J38 key on a board strapped to
my leg.  I got better, writing some stuff down, and then took the plunge and
started sending and receiving while rolling down the road.  I wrote down the
call/name of the other station, and began to copy in my head as I went
along.  My speed increased exponentially when I bought my first paddle, a
Bencher, and home brew keyer and installed that in my mobile station.

Flash to end of the story, I became very proficient at headcopy, to the
point that when I was on the air on cw...sometimes 10 hours a day...I could
(and can still) copy over 50 wpm without any paper...besides at that speed
you can't write anything down anyway.

Today that proficiency has made cw my absolute main hf mode, with ragchew
and contesting my favorite activities.

So...bottom line...how do you learn to copy in your head?   Throw away the
paper and pencil, start slowly and build your competency.  Practice,
practice, practice and beleive me, if you can copy with paper and pencil
now, you'll soon be able to relieve yourself of that ball and chain and grow
to really enjoy cw...with no notes...at higher and higher speeds.  Paper and
pencil RESTRICT your cw speed, so get off the paper and into your head!  HI

Sorry for the ramble, but it's a fond memory.

Larry, N0XB
Northfield, MN

and need I say:  CW Forever!